An Examination into the authenticity of an alleged 1970s Norval Morrisseau Painting. - 10 September 2009
This Expert Report, written by principal Morrisseau art dealer Don Robinson, was a crucial exhibit in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice Otavnik v Sinclair action. In his Jan 11 2011 Judgment Justice D. Godfrey made the following statement, "I am not prepared to accept the evidence of Mr. McLeod for the plaintiff over that of Mr. Robinson for the defendant as to the authenticity of the painting." The Otavnik claim against Sinclair was dismissed.
"Taken together, all of the above evidence overwhelmingly supports the conclusion that Jesuit Priest Bringing Word was not painted by Norval Morrisseau's hand. I have reached this conclusion with a one hundred percent level of confidence."
Kinsman Robinson Galleries
10 September 2009
Characterizing Elegance of Curves Computationally for Distinguishing Morrisseau Paintings and the Imitations. August 15 2009
A University of Pennsylvania team recently published the findings of an academic study examining
Morrisseau paintings and those purported to be painted by him in the controversial 70s-style. Computerized analysis, focusing on the characterization of curve elegance, specifically curve steadiness and coherence of brushstrokes, revealed that the curves in Morrisseau's authentic paintings clearly exhibit his commanding painting skills. The authors further note the smooth and steady flow of the curves show less hesitancy of the artist than the authors of counterfeit works, and the tangent angles tend to be more consistent along curves in the authentic paintings than in the imitations.
"Through computerized analysis of his (Morrisseau's) authentic works and the imitations,
it is revealed that the curves in his authentic paintings exhibit his
commanding painting skills. The smooth and steady flow of the curves show less hesitancy of the artist [Morrisseau] than the authors of counterfeit works."
Reverse-side painted signature analysis on "questionable" paintings.
- (Jan 24 2002) Brian Lindblom Report for Joe McLeod (Maslak McLeod Gallery)
- (March 13 2007) Brian Lindblom Report for Joe Otavnik (art retailer)
- (Nov 5 2008) Brian Lindblom Report for Michael Moniz (art retailer)
- (Aug 24 2010) Dr. Singla Report for Jim White (art distributor)
- (May 27 2011) Dr. Singla Report for Jim White (art distributor)
- (Dec 22 2011) Dr. Singla Report for Jim White (art distributor)
- (Dec 21 2011) Dr. Singla Report for Ugo Matulic (art retailer)
- (Dec 19 2011) Kenneth Davies Report for Ugo Matulic (art retailer)
- (April 18 2012) Kenneth Davies Report for Ugo Matulic (art retailer)